Feeding Raw to Cats FAQ: What About a Kibble Addict?
Cat Nutrition 寫於 2012年11月10日20:59 ·
原文在此(Original article here)
The ownership and copyright of this article belongs to the original writer and this is just a translated version, only for sharing.
如果你的貓咪是固執的乾乾成癮大王, 你第一件事要做的就是停止無限量供應乾糧. 這是絕對必須的.
If you have a devoted and stubborn dry food addict on your hands, the first thing to do is to stop free-feeding kibble. This is absolutely essential.
首先, 你必須讓貓咪戒掉乾糧. 如果你的最終目標是餵食生食, 那當你的貓咪開始吃罐頭之後就可以開始偷加少量的生食進去, 然後慢慢的增加生食的量且減少罐頭量. 要有耐心.
First, you must get your cat off of dry food. If your goal is to eventually feed raw food, then once your cat is on canned food, you can start slipping in small amounts of the raw food into the canned and then slowly increasing the amount of raw and decreasing the canned. Be patient.
要非常有耐心Be very patient.
每天24小時都有食物可以吃對貓咪並不是很理想的, 而且如果貓咪常常都有食物可以吃, 你就很難幫他轉成健康, 低碳水化合物, 高水分, 高蛋白的罐頭. 為了達到這個目標, 你可以一天給與2~3餐的少少量乾糧(約1/8~1/4杯), 30分鐘後就把剩下的食物收掉. 就算他在兩餐中間哀求也不可以給他食物. 要讓貓咪習慣定時用餐.
Having food available 24/7 is NOT a good idea for any cat, and if your cat has constant access to that food, you'll have a very hard time getting her weaned onto a healthier, low-carbohydrate, moist, high-protein canned food. One way to approach this is to offer two or three meals a day of a very small amount of dry food (perhaps 1/8 to 1/4 of a cup) and, after 30 minutes, take up the food she hasn't eaten. Then do not give in if she pleads for a between-meal snack. You want your cat to get accustomed to eating on a schedule this way--at mealtimes.
You MUST stop free-feeding dry food!
然後, 當你建立起固定的用餐時間幾天或一周後, 開始將食物換成全優質罐頭, 如果貓咪拒絕去碰那些食物, 把食物收起來, 幾個小時後再試試.
Next, after you've established set meal times for a few days or a week, begin setting out meals of ONLY good canned food. If your cat refuses to touch it, take up the food and try again a few hours later.
是的, 這會需要一些耐心去讓貓咪戒掉乾糧並開始吃其它健康的食物. 但是想想如果貓咪產生糖尿病或其他的疾病需要花掉多少的時間, 金錢與力氣, 這點耐心遠比不上.
Yes, it takes some patience to get a cat off of dry food and onto something healthier, but think how much time it would take if your cat develops diabetes or some other disease and you're forced to spend time, money, and energy coping with that.
你必須停止無限量供應乾糧, 不然是不會有用的. 我知道, 我一直重複. 這是一定要的.
You must stop free-feeding dry food, or this will never work. I know, I'm being repetitive. That's deliberate.
如果超過18個小時貓咪還是不碰罐頭, 那給他一點點的乾糧—大概一匙. 在這個時候, 你必須試試看給不同的罐頭,看看他會不會去吃. 另外一個技巧是灑磨碎的乾糧在罐頭上, 在兩三天之後再用越來越少的碎乾糧, 越來越多的罐頭. 你要依照貓咪的適應程度決定改變的速度.
If, after 18 hours or so, your cat still has refused canned food, then offer a tiny bit of dry food--about a tablespoon. At this point, you may have to try serving another kind of canned food to see if she'll try that. Another trick is to generously sprinkle some of the crushed dry food onto a quarter cup of the canned food and offer that and then, over a period of two to three days, start using less and less of the crushed kibble and more and more of the canned. You will be the best judge of how quickly to do this, based on how your cat is adapting.
Another trick is to dip some of the dry food into the 'juice' of canned food to begin to accustom her taste buds to the taste of the better food.
你想越快讓貓咪吃較好, 相對穀物含量少的罐頭越好, 但是你不能讓他餓到屈服而且讓他餓超過18-24小時會有脂肪肝的風險. 如果貓咪體重過重, 那你就必須更加的小心. 讓過重貓超過24小時沒有進食是不安全的. 過重貓超過48小時沒有進食可能會產生嚴重的脂肪肝.
You want to get your cat moved on to a good, preferably grainless, canned food as quickly as possible, but you do not want to starve her into submission and risk hepatic lipidosis by permitting her to go without any food whatsoever for longer than 18 to 24 hours. If you have an overweight cat, then you must be exceptionally careful. It's not safe to let an overweight cat go longer than 24 hours without food. Hepatic lipidosis becomes a serious concern once an overweight cat has gone without food for 48 hours.
- 脂肪肝是脂肪累積在肝臟細胞中, 且對於過重的貓咪是個很嚴重的風險. 在沒有食物的情況下, 身體會將脂肪細胞送到肝臟以將其分解產生能量. 脂蛋白由一個簡單的蛋白質與脂肪所組成, 會將脂肪帶到血液中. 如果沒有處理, 肝臟會衰竭, 貓咪可能會死亡. 獸醫文獻中有指出如果貓咪有經胃管餵食, 大約70%的貓咪可以康復. 但是誰想讓貓咪遭受這樣的情形? 沒有. 所以, 再說一次, 記得, 讓過重的貓咪挨餓並不是一個好方法. 他們會被脂肪擊敗. 也可能殺死他們. 所以當你在幫貓咪進行減重時, 這是要很小心的.
- Hepatic lipidosis is a condition in which fat accumulates in individual liver cells and is a real risk for overweight cats that stop eating altogether. Without food, the body starts sending fat cells over to the liver to process lipoproteins for fuel. Lipoproteins are composed of a simple protein and a fat component that carry fats in the blood. Left untreated, the liver can fail and the cat can die. The veterinary literature suggests that about 70 percent of cats will recover from hepatic lipidosis if they are hospitalized and fed via tube feedings. Who wants to put their cat through that? No one. So, again, remember that starving an overweight cat is not an option. They cannot 'live off their fat.' Their fat, in fact, can kill them. So be mindful of this as you approach a sensible weight loss program for your fat cat.
What are some acceptable bribes to use to get my cat started eating the food?
- 在市面上有的最暢銷賄賂物? Bar none, 這是Halo Liv-a-Littles的零食. 雞肉口味尤其吸引貓咪. 它們很好壓碎放在你想讓貓咪吃的食物上面.
- The hottest bribe out on the market? Bar none, it's Halo Liv-a-Littles dried treats. The chicken version, in particular, is a reliable hit with some of the most finicky cats on the planet. They're easily crumbled on to the top of the food you're trying to get your cat to eat.
- 有些Wysong的補充物對貓咪來說也很美味. 放少量在食物上面. 我發現Wysong Dentatreat對貓咪很有用.
- Some of the Wysong supplements are apparently very tasty to cats. In small amounts on top of the food, I've found that Wysong Dentatreat can help fussy cats get started.
- 如果貓咪喜歡煮熟的肉, 放少量在生食上面.
- If your cat likes cooked meats, put a small amount on top of the raw food.
- Dr. Lisa Pierson提過一個益生菌 “Fortiflora” 的口味也很吸引貓咪. 他跟乾糧的腥味很像—灑一些些在你想餵的食物上面.
- Dr. Lisa Pierson says that a probiotic called "Fortiflora" has a very tempting flavor to cats. It has that same stinky-tasty flavor as dry food - sprinkle a teensy bit of that on top of the desired food.
- A spare sprinkling of parmesan cheese works well for getting some cheese-lovin' cats to dig in.
- 少量罐裝鮪魚的汁也可以.但是要用非常少量, 且記住貓咪不能長期吃鮪魚, 因為它會影響Vitamin E的儲存且造成一個痛苦的病症—黃脂症. 不要將其做為首要的食物來源.
- A very small amount of the juice from canned tuna in water can work. But please use this sparingly and remember that your cat should never eat tuna for long period of time, as it can rob the cat's stores of Vitamin E and cause a painful condition called steatitis. Don't use this as a first resort.
- 如果你必須(雖然這一定不是第一選擇), 將貓咪最喜歡的乾糧磨碎, 並灑一些些在生食上面. 越快減少乾糧的量越好.
- If you must (although this is certainly not a first choice), grind your cat's favorite dry food in a clean coffee mill and sprinkle a small amount on top of the raw food. Decrease the amount of dry food you use this way as quickly as you can.
- “肝臟片” 也是一個可以吸引貓咪的東西.
- A sprinkling of "liver flakes" that you can purchase at some pet food stores is also a very tempting way to persuade your cat to dig in.
你要記住, 有些貓咪很快就可以接受生食. 尤其是年輕的貓咪, 他們可以很快的適應新的食物. 就算有些老貓也可以很快的轉換成較健康的食物—他們會覺得你們終於發現他們應該要吃什麼, 新鮮的真正食物跟大自然要他們吃的最接近.
Bear in mind that some cats instantly take to raw with little or no fuss. Younger cats, especially, seem to adapt very quickly to the new food. Even some older cats make the switch to healthier food with no reluctance whatsoever - as though they're relieved that you've finally figured out how to feed them fresh, real food that is much closer to what Mother Nature intended than anything you could offer out of a can or a bag.
Finally, bear in mind that some cats do better trying to eat a new food if you try feeding them in a new place that's quiet, private, and away from other cats in the household.